Friday, August 26, 2011

What are words to me?

Chris Medina once sang a song about his life, telling a story of the legitimacy of words or that's how I interpret it anyway. For me, I won't go into that as this is own view.

Words to me images in their written form. To fully understand a word, I need the help of visuals. It's just part of me I guess, and it is not until recently that I realised this as a lecturer of mine commented on my writing, stating that I am a very 'visual' guy. I understand a word by knowing what they symbolises or what actions they bring about. Which is why at times, I can follow each and every word of a certain song but when ask what the song is trying to say, I couldn't say anything about that because words in that context to me is just one of the elements which complements the musical piece in becoming a finished work of art.

Talking about lyrics, part of the reason why I do not really look much into lyrics nowadays is because songs, particularly in mainstream is mainly about hitting the club or what to do on the dance floor or how to drink in a club, coupled with an eardrum pounding beat which stays about the same throughout the song..You tell me what is there to appreciate about? Which is also why, in my opinion that there is a lot less 'epic' sounding pieces going around nowadays as compared to our yesteryear's. Just to name a few, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston were great vocalist that truly deliver a story the way it should be delivered, and of course, the mood helps too. Was listening to some oldies and it is shocking to see how far the mainstream musical industry has plummeted since the good ol' days.

Just a simple comparison, take the word 'baby' for example, the way Klaus Meine (Scorpions) delivered it was miles if not light years away from how JB can even dream of delivering (yea, it's not even worth my time typing out his name). In addition to the existence of the technology of auto-tuning, it's interesting to see how far can the industry falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment