Monday, August 22, 2011

One of those moments..

Sorry for the absence, the ship sunk but was recovered =).

This happens to me, most of the time if not ALL the time and was further backed by another friend of mine whom I just had the conversation with. It's regarding my musical taste....

For those who knows me, I listen to a wide range of music and the main stumbling block when people ask what is listen to is also at 'Metal'. As my friend, who is a Christian, would point out that the moment he mentioned metal, a girl friend of his immediately thought he was a Satan worshiper or some sort and asked for clarification that he is indeed a Christian.

Its like WTF?!?! There is a lot of different genre of metal, from black to power, folk, speed, progressive, trash and the list goes on and on. The term Metal, for most, is often associated with the trash or black Metal genre where they just look and sound angry. I agree, as I do not listen to trash metal as they really sometimes can be defined as 'noise'. Same goes to other type of genre of music as well in my opinion, there is punk (Green Day/Blink 182), alternative (Maroon 5) or pop (A LOT!) under Rock and there is good singers and bad singers (JB and RB...ring a bell).

One of the more common of reaction that I get from none Metal followers goes a little something like this 'You don't look like someone that likes Metal'. My reaction? =.=...As for other Metal followers, happens more among the girl(s) is that they find it as a pleasant surprise. I mean, what's wrong with liking a certain genre, field of interest or brand? If everyone liked the same thing then the world would be very dull, won't it? The more messed up reaction would have to be that they start to (jokingly) tease and stuff like that until another person who also has the same interest pops up, especially if that person is a girl, the comments just stop there and then..

I am a guitar player myself, and I appreciate good guitar players and they are mostly found among the metal bands. As for their choice of presentation of their vocals, screaming or growling doesn't necessarily mean all negative but from how I see it just complements the music nicely. Some may say that they don't understand what they are singing about and lyrics comes first and what not. But let me ask you this, the easiest example would be a certain Jay Chou, can you honestly tell me that you understand the whole song the first time listening to it? What sticks in your mind most? His words or melody? Another point would be I like and appreciate live performances, rather than those lip syncing or auto-tuned 'artists'. I do beg to differ to those who say Metal bands can't sing. Here is a few, try them out and then let me know if they can sing or not:-

Kamelot
Nightwish (during Tarja's time with the band)
Dream Theater
Galneryus (both new and previous vocalist)

A fitting ending note to this post, taken from 9gag.com:

(sorry the image's resolution is small, for better quality do visit the website =))


No comments:

Post a Comment